ARDEX can trace its roots back more than 50 years to the foundation of ARDEX Chemie GmbH in Witten-Annen, Germany. Since then the Group has grown steadily to achieve world-wide sales in excess of €450 million.
The ARDEX Group now has around 1600 employees based at production and sales companies in 50 countries.
ARDEX UK dates back to 1960 when a joint venture between ARDEX GmbH and Lafarge, known as ARDEX Surfaces Ltd, was founded in London. The Company sold imported gypsum-based ARDUR flooring products their from offices in Camden High Street. The first steps into the UK tiling market were taken in 1969 with the introduction of the imported ARDURIT X 7 Tile Adhesive, which is still a market leader today. In 1970 ARDEX UK moved to a facility in Braintree, Essex, where the manufacturing of products commenced including ARDIT Z 8 and ARDIT G 6 Levelling Compounds.
Shortly after this ARDEX Chemie GmbH bought out the Lafarge holding, and in 1982 ARDEX UK relocated to its current headquarters in Haverhill, Suffolk and, where in 1987, the company was granted BS 5750 Quality Assurance Certification (now ISO 9000).